With a rating of 4.36 / 5.00 on GoodReads, this book is popular. And depressing.
- Stop worrying about Russia. It’s the richest of the rich deciding American politics.
- Charles and David Koch started as Libertarians. In fact, David ran in 1980 as candidate for Vice President for the Libertarian Party. In recent decades everything the Kochs do is to enrich themselves. #FollowTheMoney
- The Kochs will cheat, lie, steal, intimidate to enrich themselves. The GOP are merely a means to an end.
- The Kochs are good businessmen, employing many. For all the hundreds of millions they’ve spent, mostly on Republicans, they’ve made more back on legislation enriching the richest of the rich.
- The 2010 Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision made the situation much worse.
- Because their business is mostly Petrotoxins, the Kochs are keenest on preventing action on climate change.
- Currently Americans for Prosperity is the main Koch lobbyist.
- The E.P.A. identified Koch Industries in 2012 as the single biggest producer of toxic waste in the United States.
The U.S. political system is a fail, I’d say.
40% think Trump is doing a good job. A majority of those, I’m guessing, believe what they hear on FOX News and right wing radio.
Americans so easily misled deserve worse education, worse health care, medical bankruptcy, etc. … There’s no helping people like that.
I keep thinking American voters will figure out the richest of the rich are taking too much money. They don’t
Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right (2016) is a non-fiction book written by the American investigative journalist Jane Mayer, about a network of extremely wealthy conservative republicans, foremost among them Charles and David Koch, who have together funded an array of organizations that work in tandem to influence academic institutions, think tanks, the courts, statehouses, Congress, and the American presidency for their own benefit.
Mayer particularly discusses the Koch family and their political activities, along with Richard Mellon Scaife and John M. Olin and the DeVos and Coors families.
Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.
Jane Meredith Mayer is an American investigative journalist who has been a staff writer for The New Yorker since 1995. …
In 2016, Doubleday published Mayer’s fourth book, Dark Money, which became an instant national best-seller, and the New York Times named it one of the ten best books of the year. …
Mayer revealed that approximately six investigators, led by former New York Police Chief Howard Safir, had been hired by the industrialist Koch brothers in an effort to try to dig up dirt in order to smear her reputation, and that accusations of plagiarism had been leveled at her. She responded by publicly airing those tactics of intimidation, effectively debunking the smear campaign.
Saturday March 24th, 2018.
Get out and advocate for gun control with the peaceful protesters if you can.
There are over 830 events planned as I post.
March For Our Lives
This spokesperson for the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights speaks truth to power.
Click PLAY or watch it on Facebook.
I ignored American politics until 2004 when — inexplicably — George W. Bush was elected for a second term after being unbelievably bad in his first term.
What the Hell was going on?
Jim VandeHei explains why the USA has such extreme politics in 2017: Newt Gingrich, Fox News (1996), MSNBC, CNN, Facebook and later Twitter, Sarah Palin and finally Trump.
Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert documented the idiocy.
It’s easy to say Americans deserve the politicians they have.
My fear is that other nations will evolve in the direction of the American way. 😦
A good example of how the great story telling in 2017 is on TV not on film.
If you want to muse on gender equality watch Handmaid’s Tale not Wonder Woman.
This show’s success is mostly Elisabeth Moss. She carries a high percentage of the scenes.
All the casting is superb.
Personally I feel the detailed cinematography and careful sound track are too precious. I wish filmmakers would concentrate on the story and stop showing off so much.
The pacing is too slow for me, as well.
Still … it’s must watch TV in 2017.
Click PLAY or watch a trailer on YouTube.
Gilead is a theocracy run by extremists from the American Religious right.
1. The parallels to Trump’s America are glaring and deliberate. …
2. It’s a parable about male privilege.
3. There will be changes from Atwood’s book.
4. The cinematography is both stunning and specific.
5. The Republic of Gilead parallels Puritanism. …
Why The Handmaid’s Tale Is Destined to Be 2017’s Dystopian Hit
related – 8 Questions We Really Want Answered in The Handmaid’s Tale’s Second Season
Who is this dangerous man? 😦
“Darkness is good,” Bannon told the publication.
He added: “Dick Cheney, Darth Vader, Satan. That’s power. …
Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.
It was $10m of Mercer’s money that enabled Bannon to fund Breitbart – a rightwing news site, set up with the express intention of being a Huffington Post for the right. It has launched the careers of Milo Yiannopoulos and his like …
With links to Donald Trump, Steve Bannon and Nigel Farage, the rightwing US computer scientist is at the heart of a multimillion-dollar propaganda network
Robert Mercer: the big data billionaire waging war on mainstream media
related – NY Times – How One Family’s Deep Pockets Helped Reshape Donald Trump’s Campaign