As of May 2019.
I tried and gave up on drones.
I tried and gave up on gimbals.
GoPro works for me. Small. Tough. Durable. Waterproof.
For BikePacking travel I’ll be carrying:
- two tripod(s) … one a selfie stick
- Bike handlebar mount
- Bike helmet mount
- aspect ratio 16:9 (not 4:3)
- cool kids like me use 4K/60fps
Click PLAY or watch a 4K sample on YouTube.
- zoom is digital — so I won’t often use it
- HyperSmooth (new video stabilization)
- Protune is ON
- once on a trip I’ll turn on QuikCapture (video with one click)
- time clips (15 or 30 seconds) are useful
For reasons unknown, GoPro stopped supporting their Apple Watch app. I use my watch a lot for iPhone, but will have to use voice control rather than my watch for the GoPro. (There is a 3rd party app called EasyBlack 7 that I might try.)
Click PLAY or watch a sample of Slow Mo on YouTube.
Typically I delete audio replacing it with some soundtrack.
On my last trip I tried using the audio. That can be tricky as the GoPro is not great at audio. It’s not easy to edit audio.
Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.
Time Lapse (Hyperlapse) mode
- I’ll use this occasionally to speed up lengthy videos
Click PLAY or watch a sample on YouTube.
- SuperPhoto mode
- photos at 4000×3000 pixels (4×3) default
- it’s slow, uses a lot of battery, best on tripod
- I won’t take many photos with the GoPro. The iPhone is better.
- I won’t use Burst or Continuous photo
This GoPro photo came out as .tiff — huge at 96 MB. When I exported it to .jpg it was still large for web (1280 x 960) at 735 KB. It’s not been edited.